[quagga-dev 9069] Re: Committing New Features to Master Branch?

Ward, David - 0663 - MITLL david.ward at ll.mit.edu
Tue Feb 14 14:58:05 GMT 2012

On 13/02/12 23:01, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
>> * What is the master branch for -- what commits belong there? Does it feed from/to another branch?
>> * What is the RE-testing branch for -- what commits belong there? Does it feed from/to another branch?
>> * What is the RE branch for -- what commits belong there? Does it feed from/to another branch?
>>
>> (I see http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/quagga/?title=ReleaseEngineering but it doesn't really explain the fundamental purpose of the different branches)
>>
> Is the current revision more helpful? I will be able to comment on the remaining points later.

Bill -- thanks for the info and pointing me to the opensourcerouting.org
wiki.  I was not aware of these efforts.

Denis -- thanks, yes this a lot clearer (although I think it might be
better to put the branch descriptions at the top of the page, after
"what is Quagga Release Engineering"?).  One more question which is
still not obvious to me from the wiki: are Quagga RE releases intended
primarily for general use, or is this primarily a vehicle for testers to
make the master Quagga releases more stable?  If it's the former, I
should point out that the download page
(http://www.quagga.net/download.php) and the header on all quagga.net
pages only have download links to the master version of Quagga; you have
to dig for the RE release in SourceForge.

I understand that some of the plans here are still in the works.  I look
forward to seeing future announcements as they come out.

David