[quagga-dev 9266] Re: quagga license clarification

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at vyatta.com
Fri May 4 15:57:36 BST 2012

On Fri, 04 May 2012 11:09:57 +0100
Nick Hilliard <nick at inex.ie> wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 10:39, Paul Jakma wrote:
> > What's the motivation there for that change? GPLv2 seems (potentially
> > inaccurately) over-determined, compared to GPL.
>
> GPL includes all future versions of the GPL.  This is quite a loose
> licensing arrangement, given that you don't know what's going to go into
> future versions of the license.  At last GPLv2 (or v3) gives clarity.
>
> Nick

More precisely. When Quagga was licensed, the only version of GPL
was v2. IANAL but my understanding that unless the license includes
the language "either version 2, or (at your option) any later version"
then it is limited to v2 only. Looking at the source there are only three
places where the GPL is mentioned and the "at your option" clause
is missing: COPYING.LIB bgpd/bgp_route.c and bgpd/bgp_snmp.c