[quagga-dev 10021] Re: MPLS, LDP, etc.

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Thu Nov 22 16:03:01 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 04:44:20PM +0100, Igor Maravić wrote:
> >> The Linux kernel part is more problematic.  Igor Maravić is currently
> >> maintaining it, but it's nowhere near kernel-mergeable quality.  As
> >> far as I remember, it had been submitted to netdev several times and
> >> gotten smacked down rather hard.  It seems that for now, Free/OpenBSD
>
> I've never submitted MPLS for merging. A year ago, I just asked what
> has to be done so MPLS would be merged. Yes, there were some arguments
> and disagreements.
> Here's the thread (http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2011/11/20/25)

Sorry for not being clear, my comment above is based on James Leu's
original code.  I haven't had the time to look at your code.

> Since then I almost completely rewrote MPLS and it's now drastically
> better then the original version.
> If you ask me, it's light years ahead of original version.

Sounds very good!  Thanks for your efforts!

[snip]
> To sum up. MPLS that I maintain is drastically improved version of the
> original MPLS.
> I wouldn't say that it's "nowhere near kernel-mergeble state". I'm
> working on improving it further.
>
> To help me speed up my work, any code reviews, comments, suggestions,
> patches are welcome.

I'll find out what the OSR can contribute.  We have LDP testsuites, but
not basic MPLS tests.  If LDP works on Linux kernel MPLS, we can test it
as a whole, but that's probably some time away for now... (It'll also
need quite a bunch of preparatory work to get the testsuites set up.)

Cheers,

-David