[quagga-dev 10419] Re: How to do In-band management in OSPFv2 ?

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Mon Apr 15 14:28:49 BST 2013

Hi Lokesh,

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:03:34AM +0530, Lokesh Pareta wrote:
> I want to know that how we can implement in-band management in Quagga for
> OSPFv2 with respect to RFC-6549 (Instance Id for OSPFv2) ?
> Please help me as soon as possible.

Basically, support for a separate in-band management topology comes down
to supporting VRFs.  This is a rather big change that needs support not
only from Quagga but actually the surrounding host system (i.e. making
SSH available in the management topology.)

The whole problem here is that there is no pre-existing design, model or
specification for handling VRFs on Linux or BSD.  There are network
namespaces on Linux now, which are a suitable kernel part, but the
userland is completely undefined in the lightweight network-only
virtualisation case.  On FreeBSD, Jails are probably half the needed
support (I don't think they can do independent routing?)

In Quagga, this depends first and foremost on cleaning and restructuring
the IPC interface between zebra and the other daemons.  This has been a
long-time TODO item sadly.  Actually adding multi-instance/topology to
either OSPF and IS-IS is a minor effort after that.

Hope this helps,

-David