[quagga-dev 10950] Re: high-bandwidth, low-latency quagga necessary ?

Jose Gavine Cueto pepedocs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 02:36:36 GMT 2013

Hi Alexis,

""First step would presumably be to simply figure out what's needed to make
that driver work as a drop-in replacement for the existing drivers
(presumably they have replacements for the e1000, igb, and ixgbe drivers,
at least). Does that by itself improve the picture at all?"

One could create an api or abstraction (portability issue agian) for the
poll-mode APIs where applications could interface or use the provided kni
whichever is better.  Sadly, support for non-Intel drivers is not yet
available.

as dump packet switch,

I believe this is a good start to see what some quick performance gains.
 There are also APIs that provide l3 algorithms and take advantage of DPDK
features.

I've seen netmap but I haven't used it.  I have not seen any mention the
capability to take advantage of per core memory (e.g. NUMA).

Cheers,
Pepe

--
To stop learning is like to stop loving.