[quagga-dev 10953] Re: high-bandwidth, low-latency quagga necessary ?

Jose Gavine Cueto pepedocs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 02:09:50 GMT 2013

"The DPDK site seems to imply that they include complete replacement
drivers. My assumption was that those drivers, while perhaps providing
additional APIs, also supported the APIs that the standard drivers provide.
Is that wrong?"

Yes they provided complete replacements.  I'm not sure what you mean about
the APIs that the standard drivers provide, but by experience the poll-mode
drivers provided by DPDK is very flexible and could do what the kernel
drivers can.

"Looks like Intel thought so too. See
https://01.org/packet-processing/intel%C2%AE-ovdk - that job seems to be
done already, and they're well on their way to a smart switch."

Correct.  I've been monitoring this and this is quite promising.  Though as
for the moment, it is still very young and the last time I read about it
was that the performance optimization is yet applicable only between VM to
VM communication.

Cheers,
Pepe

--
To stop learning is like to stop loving.