[quagga-dev 10959] Re: high-bandwidth, low-latency quagga necessary ?

Charlet, Ricky ricky.charlet at hp.com
Wed Dec 11 18:15:02 GMT 2013

Howdy,

Also, in case it helps you to understand where I am coming from and how far to believe the things I say (not to far really) , here is a word about my personal experience level with DPDK...
I've never integrated or programed DPDK. I've worked in two different companies that use DPDK and been a programmer quite near it.
	At one place, I've used DPDK to source/sync fast traffic and been involved in architectural decisions to migrate to using DPDK. We transformed our app from the ability to source/sync 4 Gb traffic to 30 Gb of traffic.
	At another place, they were using DPDK when I got there for network traffic forwarding. I personally work on keeping the route tables up to date (using quagga) in the DPDK fast path. The (top version of the) thing forwards 40Gb of traffic.

Now for my replies:
Q: how does dpdk interact with netfilter/iptables (those are in the kernel)?
A: DPDK is a user-mode tcp/ip stack and replaces the entirety of the kernel stack including netfilter and iptables. On the other hand DPDK itself is strongly based on BSD and includes an iptables feature in it. You should speak with your DPDK sales / professional-services engineer to understand exactly what features it can offer. I can confidently say to you that DPDK has IPv6 and iptables with conntrack and it works at surprisingly great speed. Your realization of speed will depend upon your hardware, but will not depend upon your kernel.

Q: (from testing observations) how big an impact does DPDK have?
>From experience, I saw it provide a, nearly 10x improvement in application source/sync throughput on same hardware. But that is not too relevant to our discussion here. We are more interested in packet forwarding improvement. Even though I do work on a DPDK packet forwarder currently, I don't have any before/after comparison. Our first release of product has been DPDK based from the beginning. I'm sure that DPDK vendors will be more than happy to provide you with slides and studies.

Final note:
The point I'm trying to make to this list is not "DPDK is better", but "having quagga support a DPDK user stack rather than the kernel stack is fairly easy".  DPDK can drop in and replace kernel stack in a rather un-noticible way.

--
Ricky Charlet
Software Dev / Routing Dude: Aries team, Roseville CA
ricky.charlet at hp.com