[quagga-dev 10156] Re: Zebra and Netlink (for LDP)

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Mon Jan 7 18:10:22 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 08:04:18PM +0200, Timo Teras wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 08:34:38 -0800 Stephen Hemminger
> <shemminger at vyatta.com> wrote:
>
> > You really should get MPLS into upstream kernel soon because in the
> > review process the API might have to be modified during the review
> > process. I would hate to see Quagga having to deal with API changes
> > to MPLS.
>
> Well, I don't think the codebase is ready for that yet. There're several
> things I'm working with Igor to fix.
>
> I think we need to stabilize the LDP tree and leave the kernel glue out
> - or maybe include the glue for Leu's patch. And push the glue for
> Igor's patch once the ABI is stabilizing.

The LDP protocol won't magically change retroactively, so a good part of
the code is set.  Yes, the kernel backend might need another round of
reworking, but OTOH that should hopefully not be an overly complex task.

And, going really far, we may even end up with multiple Linux backends
(OpenVSwitch MPLS [for VPLS] vs. direct MPLS [for IP over MPLS]), plus
*BSD, plus OpenFlow...

-David