[quagga-dev 10615] Re: calculating external route when a forwarding_address is present

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Sun Jul 21 09:26:43 BST 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 01:26:30AM +0000, Charlet, Ricky wrote:
> I'm putting a quagga variant through the paces with UNH testing. They
> have a test case, OSPFv2_Interop_1.05, which I'm failing. The setup
> and steps to reproduce are actually fairly arduous and I hope to skip
> them for the life of this discussion, but I can post if it becomes
> needful.

Great!  Can you make the results public?  I tried pushing for UNH
testing through various channels without much luck so far.

> The bottom line is that I think ospfd is not quite doing the right
> thing when considering external-lsas that have a forwarding_address
> set. Take a look at ospf_ase_forward_address_check()... it does not
> check to see if a route to fwd_addr exists. I think it should. RFC
> 2328, 16.4 (3) is the relevant reference.

I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but going from the "might there be
a reason to this?" angle, it may be that this was done intentionally to
support cases where the forwarding address is made reachable by some
other routing protocol.  Admittedly, the originating OSPF router
shouldn't include a forward address in that case, but who knows what
bits operators fiddle with...

(I have no idea if this makes any sense/happens in reality/should be
supported, it's just something to think about.  It may well be that it
is totally unreasonable.)

-David