[quagga-dev 10505] Re: Adding "encapsulation dot1q" option to interfaces

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Thu May 2 15:05:16 BST 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 02:46:57AM +0200, Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> Changing the kernel name space is faster than renaming the interface,
> which is very important on embedded devices at startup with a lot of
> VLAN interfaces. We did some profiling on it and found that
>
>      VLAN_NAME_TYPE_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD => vlan5

Note that this option only affects the creation of VLAN interfaces
without specifying a name.  With netlink you can actually pass the name
for the to-be-created interface in the netlink message.  iproute2 allows
this:

  ip link add link eth0 name spam123 type vlan id 456

I do believe that the ioctl/vlanconfig stuff, if not deprecated, is at
least outdated.  Not fully sure though.

Cheers,

-David