[quagga-dev 10508] Re: Adding "encapsulation dot1q" option to interfaces

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Thu May 2 17:54:34 BST 2013

I understand the desire for a single management CLI but this seems like
adding unnecessary. There a lots of subtleties to interface management and
the world is bigger than just simple VLAN's. What about tunnels, what about
all the possible VLAN options (like priority and QinQ)? And BSD, Linux, Solaris,
et all have different features and options. It also means more work for developers
as you duplicate functionality of other tools.

IMHO the current Quagga suffers from doing to much in the shell. But I
am and old Unix believer who believed 'cat -v considered harmful'.

XORP tried to do a unified model, and it ended up being a whole shell.

Disclosure:
I work for Vyatta which has a full router style CLI. Therefore your change
overlaps what we do. There is a open-source version of Vyatta, maybe that
would meet your needs.