[quagga-dev 10509] Re: Adding "encapsulation dot1q" option to interfaces

Adrian Ban bluelightning at mantech.ro
Thu May 2 21:36:49 BST 2013

Yes, indeed there are a lot of interfaces. But what is the problem
adding an option which can be used or not?
Who want to use that option let them use it. Who don't is not a big
deal: use the OS specific tool.
QinQ is much simpler that you think: create a new subinterface, specify
the physical interface to be an already VLAN interface and set the dot1q
VID.
Priority? that's the problem? I don't thinks so. The sources from
ifconfig (BSD), iproute (Linux), dladm (Solaris) has a lot of code from
where we can inspire.

The other interfaces? Port-channel I think I can add this feature also
for all 3 OSes. ipgre maybe this too and so on.
And also you can take the common features. I don't think so that some
interfaces has features in one OS and in the other OS doesn't have it it
can't to the same job. There should be standardized.

I think this is not the issue.
Yes, there is Vyatta but is a custom distribution and I don't like that
kind of distribution. I like Debian for example and I want to have a CLI
on top of this Linux distribution.
And I think that I'm not the only one who think like this. I'm customize
my on Debian for my own needs.

You work for Vyatta but this is not the reason to say that is not
necessary to add this feature and promote the Vyatta to be an alternative.
Is like to reinstall all my routers with free Vyatta and run only that
OS because Vyatta has this feature?

And "Therefore your change overlaps what we do" -> I don't understand.
This should be a strong reason to not add this feature because you
already did this in your distribution?

This is my point of view. I will do this addon anyway.

Best regards,
Adrian