[quagga-dev 10516] Re: Adding "encapsulation dot1q" option to interfaces

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri May 3 13:03:16 BST 2013

On 05/03/13 01:51, Adrian Ban wrote:

> There is somewhere a documentation about Quagga which says that adding
> interface functions are outside the scope? I'm curious where is written.
> If other Quagga users will ask to add those kind of new features will be
> refused by Quagga maintainers as well because is outside the scope even
> the features will be fully complained with* **Unix platforms,
> particularly FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris and NetBSD** *?

Well, the good news is that there's a third zebra species name that's
still up for grabs -- Grevy.  There for the taking by anyone who feels
that another fork is necessary.

For what it's worth, I agree with the maintainers.  It's well out of
scope of routing protocols, and a serious pain to maintain per platform.
 The Quagga command line is not actually the Cisco command line, and
dumping the kitchen sink into it in an attempt at convergence sounds
like a bad plan for Quagga.  It may make sense for some users, but can't
be good for the project.