[quagga-dev 10827] Re: patch line wrapping

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Tue Oct 22 20:21:05 BST 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 07:00:54PM +0000, Williams, Ken wrote:
> I've just submitted a patch and I see that one of the lines got
> wrapped in an odd way.  Had the patch been applied and re-extracted?
> Is this a hint to keep my lines under a certain length?

I don't see any mis-wrapping and the patch applies correctly.

Generally, code should not go beyond the 80th column, but git won't do
anything to enforce that.  Your E-Mail client, if misconfigured, may
break patches - but in this case it didn't.

In general, submitting patches with "git send-email" is the best thing
to do.  You can use the --annotate option to add comments beyond the
patch description, and --compose to add an introductory e-mail for patch
series.  Also, inside the Quagga git tree's .git/config, the following
setting might be useful:

[sendemail]
	to = quagga-dev at lists.quagga.net

(This saves you from adding the --to option to git send-email all the
time.)

Some example invocations of git send-email would be:
  # send topmost patch from your tree
  git send-email HEAD^..
  # reply to thread with a patch
  git send-email --in-reply-to='<123456789 at message.id>' HEAD^..
  # send patches further down your tree (between IDs 123456 & abcdef, not
  # including ID 123456, but including abcdef), and add an introduction
  # mail for the series
  git send-email --compose 123456..abcdef
  # send all changes on your branch relative to master
  git send-email --compose master..

You get a confirmation question for each mail btw, in case you're afraid
of sending out the wrong stuff.

Patchwork generally fails to recognise patches sent as attachments.  I
don't have the time to go off patching patchwork, so please don't send
patches as attachments ;)

-David