[quagga-dev 10885] Re: Vyatta & quagga - VyOS direction

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Oct 30 23:20:30 GMT 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:57:38 -0400
Alexis Rosen <quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com> wrote:

I don't think I am at liberty to disclose what Brocade's plans are in this area.

> If I remember correctly some of the patches that shemminger did for vyatta's quagga that weren't taken upstream were related to link up/down issues.  I believe the problem with those patches was that they were linux specific.  Is it still a goal for quagga to support Solaris and all the BSD flavors?

The Vyatta version of Quagga did not depend on any kernel patches. There is a kernel patch related to link
up/down but it is to handle the issue of ping and Linux's default weak host model. On Linux by default if
you ping any address in the router, it will respond even if the interface that address is assigned to is down.
Router customers did not like that behavior.