[quagga-dev 10891] Re: Vyatta & quagga - VyOS direction

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Thu Oct 31 19:57:05 GMT 2013

On Oct 30, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Stig Thormodsrud <stig at ubnt.com> wrote:
> > Wait... are you claiming that the performance they're getting is purely due to hardware, and not software like
> > netmap (http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/)?
>
> Yes, I'm one of the developers on the project.  The Cavium chip has some hardware offload capabilities and a proprietary kernel module.  It's not clear to me why the kernel module is proprietary since it would only work with a Cavium SoC and some of the other offload modules are GPL.  The next platform that we announced last week uses a faster Cavium cpu and can do over 2 million pps.

Amazing... the reason I thought that you were using netmap is that Vyatta had a lot of marketing material on their website a year or two ago about a "revolutionary new software technology", which from the dfescription matched netmap very closely. I figured you guys had picked up that work... but apparently not.

So has anyone experimented with netmap or similar software? The order-of-magnitude performance boost and better scaleability are very attractive, to say the least.

/a