[quagga-dev 11163] Re: add possibility to use poll instead of select

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Tue Apr 8 19:01:40 BST 2014

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:58:58AM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> If you are going to use poll, why not use epoll() instead?
> It scales much better with 1000's of connections.

epoll isn't available on BSD, is it?

> Even better use a library like libevent to manage the poll for you.

That would mean ripping out most of libzebra's "thread" functions, which
in general I consider a good thing to happen at some point, but then
again since this probably changes quite a few semantics I'm not sure
whether such a change is feasible in the near term.

Stupidly enough, the thread_* functions are woven into most other things
like ZAPI & the CLI, making it hard to use libzebra in an outside
project that uses another mainloop...

-David