[quagga-dev 11334] BGP debug CLI

Daniel Walton dwalton at cumulusnetworks.com
Thu Jun 19 20:53:11 BST 2014

I am working on a patch to enhance the debug cli for bgp so the user can:

- enable keepalive debugs for a specific peer
- enable fsm debugs for a specific peer
- enable inbound and/or outbound updates debugs for a specific peer
- enable update debugs for a specific prefix
- enable zebra debugs for a specific prefix

While working on this I've formed a few opinions:

- 'deb bgp' and 'deb bgp events' are so generic is it very difficult to know exactly what you will get from either short of looking in the code
- There is a lot of overlap between 'deb bgp', 'deb bgp events' and 'deb bgp fsm'
- 'deb bgp filters' should be covered by 'deb bgp updates'

I would like to:
- combine 'deb bgp', 'deb bgp events' and 'deb bgp fsm' into a single debug called 'deb bgp neighbor-events' (or something similar, I'm open to suggestions).
- merge 'deb bgp filters' into 'deb bgp updates'

In the end bgp debugs would consist of:
- deb bgp as4 [segment]
- deb bgp keepalives [A.B.C.D|X:X::X:X]
- deb bgp neighbor-events [A.B.C.D|X:X::X:X]
- deb bgp nht
- deb bgp updates [in|out] [A.B.C.D|X:X::X:X]
- deb bgp updates prefix [A.B.C.D/M|X:X::X:X/M]
- deb bgp zebra [A.B.C.D/M|X:X::X:X/M]

Thoughts/feedback?

Daniel