[quagga-dev 11125] Facing some issues in implementing RFC6860 (Hiding Transit-Only Networks in OSPF)

Kanchan Gupta1 kanchan.gupta1 at tcs.com
Wed Mar 26 05:10:08 GMT 2014

Hi All,

I am working with the RFC-6860. It says, for hiding broadcast networks we must use a special subnet mask i.e. 255.255.255.255, but I am confused with this. As far as I know 255.255.255.255 subnet mask is assigned to a single host i.e. used as loopback address. How can we use  it for a broadcast network.

I was trying it by configuring the manual settings as 10.10.10.1/32 but it is not working out. With this IP it is not able to connect with its neighbor.

Current settings:
Manual IP to the system: 10.10.10.1/24

OSPF configuration file has the following settings:

router ospf
 log-adjacency-changes
 network 10.10.10.0/24 area 10.10.10.0
 area 10.10.10.0 range 10.10.10.0/24
 neighbor 10.10.10.2

Same settings are done at the neighbor side.

With the above settings everything is working fine. But if I change the subnet mask with /32 the setup stops working.

Do anyone one have any idea about this.

Thanks and regards,
Kanchan Gupta
Mailto: kanchan.gupta1 at tcs.com