[quagga-dev 11644] Re: Quagga processes: let's get a discussion going

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Mon Oct 27 09:29:58 GMT 2014

Hi Vincent,

The source is HACKING.tex, just edit that. Many people will wanto to use a
LaTeX specific editor (TexStudio, Texmaker, LaTeXila, etc) or something
with some knowledge of LaTeX (Emacs has something I think, Eclipse too).

Latexila is the one I'd use on Linux.

Otherwise, just suggest text, as you've done. :) If you want to expand the
below a bit? Otherwise I'll come back and have a go this afternoon.

Thanks,

Paul

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Vincent JARDIN wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> How to edit this PDF, do you want to be the editor?
>
> few comments:
> Add a section about patchwork:
>  - http://patchwork.quagga.net/project/quagga/list/
> It is important to remind that patchwork must remain clean:
>     + login / set under review / then send a ack't or reviewed-by
>
> Add a section about how to contribute:
>  - fairness with contributors:
>     + In order to increase the visibility of some contributions, play the
> fairness of reviewing patches from others which are on patchwork. The more
> someone helps other patches to be accepted, the better their patches should
> be accepted
>     + process for fair contributors: git clone, use pw-client to get a
> patch, apply it, ack't it by email
>
>  - for maintainers:
>     + a section about, get the patch from patchwork (using pw-client, apply
> it, git push)
> see: http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit/ ; but it does not have a
> KIS section.
>
> Thanks for rising the topics again,
>  Vincent
>
> On 26/10/2014 19:09, Paul Jakma wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, it's probably worth having a discussion about processes (and
>> governance, in a followup email, later).
>>
>> On processes, the canonical document has always been HACKING in CVS, now
>> HACKING.tex in git. A PDF version being available from:
>>
>>    http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/docs/HACKING.pdf
>>
>> Which is linked to from the http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/devel.html page
>> of the website.
>>
>> Changes to processes ideally should be proposed on list (preferably as a
>> patch to that file, but just a suggested text update would be fine too,
>> for anyone not comfortable with LaTex[1]), for discussion and consensus.
>> Anyone may do so. If you disagree with something, feel something is out
>> of date or too onerous, please, please do so rather than suffer quietly. :)
>>
>> Ultimately that document really does need to be updated to reflect what
>> is expected.
>>
>> ---
>> Commit messages:
>>
>> E.g. commit messages. HACKING.pdf has a set of requirements, which
>> generally should be followed. Additionally, it recommends a certain
>> itemised format, the point of which is to force contributors to read
>> their patch and do a self-review before sending it. This format is
>> rarely used by contributors anymore.
>>
>> That section may need updating.
>>
>> ---
>> Code reviews
>>
>> We've got a "Patchwork" instance somewhere, set up by David, which is
>> pretty cool. It apparently can pick up on tags on the list. It'd be good
>> to document all this in HACKING. I think David may have something in the
>> works.
>>
>> We could even start looking at some kind of quid pro quo system on
>> reviews. E.g., the Postgresql model, where contributors are required to
> [...]

Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	@pjakma	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
Father Ted: That money was just resting in my account!