[quagga-dev 11677] Re: link detect enable

John Fraizer john at op-sec.us
Tue Oct 28 17:18:56 GMT 2014

I'm not a fan of having to set environment variables.  If you're going to
make something a runtime option, why not use command-line args?

As for the change, my vote is to keep the patch.  The configurations that
it will impact are *already* broken.  This simply exposes the fact that
they're broken.  We don't want to re-enforce bad network design while also
punishing (or leading astray) those who expect the platform to "act
correctly".

I've often questioned the wisdom of holding off on changes / improvements
because other (non-Linux) operating systems wouldn't support said feature.
Zebra (and by extension, Quagga) was developed for Linux.  It has been
*ported* to *bsd and other OS's and in those cases, I say, "Good for them."
 But, to hold back functionality improvements in the entire project based
on the fact that Operating System "B", "F" or "S" doesn't support it has
about as much merit as the whole "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy that
has permeated society.  Frankly, if your OS doesn't support something, it
sucks to be you.  I don't see the "B", "F" or 'S" crowd saying, "We really
can't expand project X to include feature Y because Linux doesn't support
that."

--
John Fraizer
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnfraizer/