[quagga-dev 11681] Re: link detect enable

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Wed Oct 29 09:00:52 GMT 2014

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014, David Lamparter wrote:

> (We could already have used that for draft-idr-error-handling in BGP,
> which is the last big behaviour-changing patch I remember)

Sure, but that one makes error handling a little bit better.

We have to exercise a modicum of judgement here. Never ever changing
behaviour, or accumulating ever increasing numbers of build flags,
commandline args or config options, which the user must know which to set
to get sane behaviour, may not be good either.

We're not an OS kernel. Sometimes documenting a change in behaviour will
be the right thing to do.

The above is independent of this particular question.

> If that wasn't obvious from the above suggestion, I'm strongly against
> changing Quagga's behaviour between versions in ways that break
> reasonable user setups.

The thing is, what reasonable user setup is broken?

The ones posited so far are ultimately broken anyway, and the admin is
likely (sooner or later) to find that out and switch to a setup that
wouldn't be affected by this change anyway.

Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	@pjakma	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
Except for 75% of the women, everyone in the whole world wants to have sex.
- Ellyn Mustard