[quagga-dev 11683] Re: link detect enable

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Wed Oct 29 10:43:04 GMT 2014

On Oct 29, 2014, at 5:56 AM, David Lamparter <equinox at diac24.net> wrote:
> No comment on:
>>>        quagga defaults 0.99.23
> ?

From a user/admin's perspective, this seems reasonable. But it's already hard enough to understand what quagga is doing sometimes, because of lack of documentation. This would be a truly opaque command, completely un-self-documenting. For that reason, it might be much better over the long haul to not gather unrelated settings into a defaults command, and instead give each one its own syntax.

FWIW, I really hate the idea of using environment vars - using them increases cognitive load for admins and introduces additional burdens- for example, if you do that, now anyone using RANCID or similar to track/push configs will have to write more code to keep track of env vars. For the same reason, I don't like commandline args or build flags, though I can imagine reasonable justifications for both (especially the latter).

And lastly, here's one more vote to changing the default.

/a