[quagga-dev 11483] Re: non-GPL code calling and depending on GPL libzebra

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Thu Sep 11 08:57:03 BST 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Alexis Rosen wrote:

> IANAL, and I'm sure others will have more to say about this, but in
> short, source code is not subject to the requirements you're stating
> above. As long as the GPL code is distributed in accordance with the GPL
> requirements (source availability, etc.), you can also distribute
> anything else you'd like, under any license you'd like.

Wouldn't this view be somewhat incompatible with the SFLC best practices
on mixing code?:

https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.htmlhttps://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

E.g. 2.2.

This is also the kind of practice I've seen in proprietary settings (no
GPL involved), with mixing of different bits of source code.

Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	@pjakma	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
 		-- Cartoon caption