[quagga-dev 12146] Re: Checking in on BGP add_path

Daniel Walton dwalton at cumulusnetworks.com
Fri Apr 17 15:43:50 BST 2015

Hi Seth,
I added support for RX but have not had time to work on TX.  The patch for
RX is here:
https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/quagga/commit/72cac5bc18552051c44a7f9363a9627faca62e58

We just pushed this to our github repo about 5 minutes ago so none of the
maintainers have looked at this yet.

If you want to tackle TX support that would be great :)  One thing to think
about is that by default when you implement addpath TX, BGP will not send
any additional paths.  You need to implement some feature that uses addpath
that determines what additional paths to TX.  Some examples:

   - neighbor x.x.x.x addpath-tx-all-paths - Maybe you have some collector
   that you want to feed all of the routes to
   - neighbor x.x.x.x addpath-tx-bestpath-per-nexthop - Handy for RR
   scenario where you want to let all of the RRCs know one path for each
   nexthop
   - neighbor x.x.x.x addpath-tx-bestpath-per-neighbor-as - Can be used to
   stop MED oscillation

The "all-paths" one is probably the easiest to start with as the latter
ones require changes to bestpath to make it calculate the bestpath per
nexthop and bestpath per neighbor-as.

I am one of the authors of the add-path draft so feel free to ping me if
you have any questions.

Daniel