[quagga-dev 12076] Re: Advise on implementation

Olivier Dugeon olivier.dugeon at orange.com
Mon Mar 2 15:28:29 GMT 2015

Hello Michael,

Hum, it depends if we follow Posix or SysV. In both case, if the system
is compliant with
POSIX or SysV, the portability is normally guarantee. But, we need to
test to verify.
Now, there is a difference between POSIX and SysV regarding the
semaphore needed to protect
the Shared Memory space. In SysV, when a process crash, the system will
release the semaphore
if SEM_UNDO flag has been set. This guarantee that the system will not
block even if a process
crash once acquired the lock. In POSIX, there is not similar feature.
So, in POSIX, you must
add your own supervision/monitoring system to keep the whole system safe
even in case of crash.

Regards

Olivier