[quagga-dev 12091] Re: Advise on implementation

Lou Berger lberger at labn.net
Tue Mar 3 22:12:27 GMT 2015

On 3/3/2015 4:50 PM, David Lamparter wrote:

>> On 3/3/2015 12:37 PM, Olivier Dugeon wrote:
>>> What do you mean by 'may no longer be isolated from each other' ? They
>>> are already link to the zebra daemon.
>>> In order to implement BGP-LS, we need some communication between OSFP,
>>> IS-IS and BGP. Of course, this will
>>> break this isolation principle, but wathever the solution will be.
> I agree with Dinesh & Greg.  The problem is, with SHM, it is far easier
> for invalid data to cause a crash in all the daemons from a bug in just
> one of the daemons.  The problem isn't locking or anything, it's invalid
> (pointer) data inside the SHM data.  It's possible to take precautions,
> but ultimately you need to validate all incoming data and thus lose much
> of the zerocopy advantage.

I too am not a big fan of SHM, unless you have something really simple
like a double buffered scheme with single writer.  For cases where IPC
is too expensive (e.g., between a TED and path computation) I think a
scheme that provides a common way to bind additional functionality into
a (e.g., TED) daemon makes more sense.

>> On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 02:23:59PM -0500, Lou Berger wrote:
>>     Have you considered introducing a generic TED (topology database)
>> deamon in parallel to zebra?  I think this would more closely match what
>> other implementations have done and there are many advantages over
>> direct protocol exchanges.
>>
>> And yes, I know this question/topic is orthogonal to the current
>> question/thread on shm vs ipc/rpc.
> This sounds interesting.  The direction of this, as I understand it, is
> to split off new functionality into a separate daemon to reduce
> congestion in zebra.
exactly.  It makes a lot of sense to have a common topology
repository/DB just like it does for normal routes, but there's little if
any intersection/overlap with current zebra so why put it into the same
daemon...

Lou