[quagga-dev 12469] Re: Quagga, Babel, and LIcensing.

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Sun May 24 12:16:56 BST 2015

On Fri, 22 May 2015, Jim Gettys wrote:

> I think there is a different issue here, which quagga as a project
> should be thinking about: do you want *any* non-GPL contributions at
> all? If so, under what conditions? Do you want to cooperate with other
> projects, which may have other constraints or not? That is really the
> question here.

I don't mind accommodating code-sharing with external projects at all,
regardless of licence. I greatly am in favour of code-sharing.

The clearest way to do this would be to keep the shared code in separate
files, maybe even a library. Keep the code free of dependencies on other
code and it can definitely have whatever licence its author wants (as long
as it allows GPL code to incorporate and/or depend on it).

Things get trickier if source code files mix code from external permissive
projects with code relying on the rest of GPL Quagga. My understanding of
legal advice is that then it becomes difficult to licence the file as
exclusively-permissive. However, even in that case, we could arrange to
require that contributors grant permissive licences to their
contributions, so that any portions that apply to the external project can
be re-used. (I can be fine with this anyway).

It just needs a modicum of care, and a willingness to work with us to
resolve issues.

> I will talk to Scott again next week.

Be interesting to hear.

Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	@pjakma	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.