[quagga-dev 15871] Re: Someone rebased volatile/patch-tracking/8/proposed/ff branch

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Thu Jul 7 09:24:34 BST 2016

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016, Martin Winter wrote:

> This time you managed to break the Github mirror. My update scripts
> correctly detect the savannah as the newer and try to push to github,
> but the github git doesn’t accept it.

The volatile/... ref updates are not fast-forwards and I guess Github
disallows non-ff merges/updates (Savannah does too). On Savannah, you
have to explicitly delete the ref first and push it again. You do that
by specifying an empty ref as the source in the <local source>:<remote
dst> ref specifier.

I.e. to delete:

git push <remote name> :refs/heads/volatile/etc/etc/rebased_ref

E.g., if I want to update a volatile staging ref on Savannah, and I've
rebased it I have to do:

REF=blah

git push <remote> :refs/heads/refs/heads/volatile/patch-tracking/8/$REF
git push <remote> $REF:refs/heads/refs/heads/volatile/patch-tracking/8/$REF

Paul Jakma | paul at jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune:
Conceit causes more conversation than wit.
 		-- LaRouchefoucauld