[quagga-dev 15876] Re: Someone rebased volatile/patch-tracking/8/proposed/ff branch

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Thu Jul 7 13:43:55 BST 2016

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016, Paul Jakma wrote:

> Unfortunately, that means the ff, nits and pushback tracking heads are going
> to get non-fast-forward updated.

I've fixed the issue and updated {pushback,nits}/{a,b} and ff.

Unfortunately, the new refs are not fast-forward-mergable. In the longer
run, if volatile refs are an issue then maybe we just have to pass the
bare commit IDs around for staging trees.

Other alternatives would be not have staging trees, but then you're
going to have very messy histories with edits and little fixes scattered
all around the place, and intermingled with numerous reverts. The former
will make life harder for anyone who wants to backport fixes to an older
release; both may make life _more_ miserable for anyone following along
with out-of-tree work (e.g. WIP stuff, whatever).

Paul Jakma | paul at jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune:
Wilner's Observation:
 	All conversations with a potato should be conducted in private.