[quagga-dev 15935] Questions regarding out-of-tree routing protocols

Jonathan C Day imipak at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 08:28:15 BST 2016

Hi,

I am curious about what patches exist for routing protocols and encapsulation that aren't currently in the mainline. On the official website, OLSR, OSPFv3 and IS-IS are obviously examples of the former and MPLS an example of the latter.

I have no objection to patching and testing (albeit in a limited environment). If those are the only extras, that's ok. I will just need a few extra pints before setting up a router kit.

However, it's frankly not fun having PIM-SM and PIM-DM as completely external - partly because they share bucketloads of code and partly because PIM-DM hasn't been updated in years. If you know of any effort to bring those in, I would love to know about it. I haven't figured out enough about PIM-NG or PIM-BiDir to know if these are still variants of a standard base or actually new code. Are any of these supported with patches?

BGP, as implemented by Cisco, can be vanilla or multi-protocol. It can also be interior or exterior. It's hard to tell if the implementation for Quagga supports any particular permutation(s). Can anyone give me info on this?

Of the wireless routing protocols, I could only find a few. C&P table of contents:

Table Driven Routing Protocols
       2.1 Dynamic Destination-Sequenced Distance-Vector Routing Protocol
       2.2 The Wireless Routing Protocol
       2.3 Global State Routing
       2.4 Fisheye State Routing
       2.5 Hierarchical State Routing
       2.6 Zone-based Hierarchical Link State Routing Protocol
       2.7 Clusterhead Gateway Switch Routing Protocol
On-Demand Routing Protocols
       3.1 Cluster based Routing Protocol
       3.2 Ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector Routing
       3.3 Dynamic Source Routing Protocol
       3.4 Temporally Ordered Routing Algorithm
       3.5 Associativity Based Routing
       3.6 Signal Stability Routing

I'm not seeing OLSR listed, but I'm tired and may have missed it. They're not listed on the website at all. Would it be reasonable to assume that there are no patchsets for these? I'm an individual and can't fully fund such development work, but I am more than happy to do what I can.

Thanks,

Jonathan Day