[quagga-dev 16647] Re: [quagga-users 14754] PBR(policy based routing in quagga)

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Tue Aug 22 05:35:39 BST 2017

> Could you please let me know PBR (Policy Based Routing) functionality support is present in Quagga for both Static routes and Dynamic routing cases or not.

  Quagga is mostly a routing protocol implementation.  So you can apply policies to route distribution and acceptance within the limits of each protocol.

  Quagga does not do forwarding.  So if you want to make a forwarding decision based on any criteria besides the destination route, that is an forwarding plane (kernel, OS) issue.  The route table is used for destination based forwarding.

> I am able to see the configuration option to configure the route-map config, but the next hop was not modified.
>
> Below is my config for static case, Please correct me if I missed any config.
>
> Before applying the PBR config, route table info
>
> K>* 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0> via 10.200.8.1,vmmgmt
> K>* 1.0.0.0/24 <http://1.0.0.0/24> via 2.0.0.1, enp2s0f3
> C>* 2.0.0.0/24 <http://2.0.0.0/24> is directly connected, enp2s0f3
> C>* 3.0.0.0/24 <http://3.0.0.0/24> is directly connected, enp2s0f1
> C>* 10.200.8.0/24 <http://10.200.8.0/24> is directly connected, vmmgmt
> S>* 25.25.0.0/24 <http://25.25.0.0/24> [1/0] via 2.0.0.20, enp2s0f3
> S>* 30.0.0.0/24 <http://30.0.0.0/24> [1/0] via 3.0.0.40, enp2s0f1
>
> Tried configuring  PBR below two ways
> Using access list
> access-list anki permit 25.25.0.0/24 <http://25.25.0.0/24>
> !
> route-map qwe permit 5
>  match ip address anki
>  set ip next-hop 3.0.0.40
> Directly applying matching ip
> route-map aaa permit 2
>  match ip address 25.25.0.0/24 <http://25.25.0.0/24>
>  set ip next-hop 3.0.0.40

  I would not call this policy based routing.  It appears that you are trying to set a different next hop for a specific destination prefix.  In other words, a static route.