[quagga-dev 16653] Re: [quagga-users 14754] PBR(policy based routing in quagga)

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Aug 22 16:34:30 BST 2017

On 08/22/17 08:29, ankaiah.nallamekala at wipro.com wrote:
> Thanks James.
>
> Could you please let me know Quagga version which supports route redistribution(PBR) in BGP.

All versions do; redistribution is a core feature.  But I suspect that
you have other requirements and you should post details to the list of
exactly what you're trying to do (with detailed examples) and what you
expect the system to do for you.  It would probably also help if you
could post more about the OS you're using, because Quagga doesn't live
on an island.

It doesn't redirect traffic based on ToS/QoS, nor based on source
address, nor on IP header options, nor packet length, nor based on
transport (layer-4) protocol, nor on other layer-4 features (such as
port numbers), nor on any higher level protocol feature (e.g., URL).  It
really can't do that unless the underlying kernel interfaces were to
support it.  It doesn't, in fact, handle *any* data packets -- it just
computes data ("routes") to send to the kernel.  It's a control plane
tool, not data plane.

Routing in a datagram network is done based on destination address.
(And, possibly, interface and VRF tags.)

If those other things are the sorts of things you're trying to do, then
it sounds like you're looking for OS features for packet redirection and
rewriting, as previously described.  I.e., something in the data plane.

These things certainly interact with each other in network design, but
they're logically distinct.  (Even with Cisco, you can't redistribute
"policies" via BGP, as far as I know.)