[quagga-dev 16626] Reproducibility problem

Gábor Boskovits boskovits at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:02:06 BST 2017

Hello quagga!

I'm trying to package quagga for guix.

Package complies all right, test suite runs ok.

The only problem seem, that the build is not reproducible.

I managed narrow that down to that generating vtysh_cmd.c is not
deterministic.

At first I thought is is just an ordering issue.

I checked the code, and it seems, that DEFSH function definitions can be
freely moved around, and the order of install_elements seem not matter also.

I wrote a simple post processor to get identical ordering.

However after ordering the files are still different.

Here is an example diff:

gabriel at guixsd-test ~/quaqqa-sorter [env]$ diff cmd.c.sorted cmd.c.sorted2
1979,1989d1978
< DEFSH (VTYSH_BGPD, clear_ip_bgp_all_vpnv4_soft_in_cmd_vtysh,
<        "clear ip bgp * vpnv4 unicast soft in",
<        "Reset functions\n"
<        "IP information\n"
<        "BGP information\n"
<        "Clear all peers\n"
<        "Address family\n"
<        "Address Family Modifier\n"
<        "Soft reconfig inbound and outbound updates\n"
<        "Send route-refresh unless using 'soft-reconfiguration inbound'\n")
<
5023a5013,5022
> DEFSH (VTYSH_BGPD, no_neighbor_attr_unchanged5_cmd_vtysh,
>        "no neighbor (A.B.C.D|X:X::X:X|WORD) " "attribute-unchanged
as-path next-hop med",
>        "Negate a command or set its defaults\n"
>        "Specify neighbor router\n"
>        "Neighbor address\nNeighbor IPv6 address\nNeighbor tag\n"
>        "BGP attribute is propagated unchanged to this neighbor\n"
>        "As-path attribute\n"
>        "Nexthop attribute\n"
>        "Med attribute\n")

13193,13201c13192,13201
< DEFSH (VTYSH_BGPD, no_neighbor_attr_unchanged5_cmd_vtysh,
<        "no neighbor (A.B.C.D|X:X::X:X|WORD) " "attribute-unchanged
as-path next-hop med",
<        "Negate a command or set its defaults\n"
<        "Specify neighbor router\n"
<        "Neighbor address\nNeighbor IPv6 address\nNeighbor tag\n"
<        "BGP attribute is propagated unchanged to this neighbor\n"
<        "As-path attribute\n"
<        "Nexthop attribute\n"
<        "Med attribute\n")
---
> DEFSH (VTYSH_BGPD, clear_ip_bgp_all_vpnv4_soft_in_cmd_vtysh,
>        "clear ip bgp * vpnv4 unicast soft in",
>        "Reset functions\n"
>        "IP information\n"
>        "BGP information\n"
>        "Clear all peers\n"
>        "Address family\n"
>        "Address Family Modifier\n"
>        "Soft reconfig inbound and outbound updates\n"
>        "Send route-refresh unless using 'soft-reconfiguration inbound'\n")

I do not always exactly get this diff.

I would like to know, if this behaviour is intentional.

If it is not, I'm willing to help, if you think it worth.

I can send the way I am sorting the file now, if that helps.