[quagga-dev 16710] Quagga and resources and community structures

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Mon Feb 26 22:16:02 GMT 2018

Hi,

Something that (somewhat selfishly of course) I'm interested in is
seeing if there is any interest in providing resources to help
development of Quagga. Related to that, if there were, there'd need to
be some kind of community structures in place to fairly and responsibly
allocate any resources arising.

E.g., it could be an idea to setup something on Patreon or on
Salt.bountysource.com (or wherever) to allow anyone who is appreciative
of the work done on Quagga to help provide funding to enable more work
to be done. Perhaps other ways of providing resources are possible too.

If it turned out there were people or organisations willing to fund,
that would then lead to the question:

   How to properly disburse any funds arising?

I think this would need some kind of community oversight board, with a
broad representation. It would need some kind of "lock" to ensure that
no specific sub-community could dominate over the interests of another.
The interests of the vendors need to be balanced with and against the
interests of users/operators and against the interests of independent
developers (BIRD has an element of this, via how the oversight of CZ.NIC
is structured). Additionally, transparency would be a strong
requirement.

A possibility here would be a non-profit (but /no/ special tax status)
organisation, in a low-overhead jurisdiction (e.g. UK) - a non-profit,
non-trading, guaranteed company, or a CIC, or somesuch. With a few
officers to handle regulatory responsibilities, and all further
responsibilities delegated to a community board. The assets of Quagga
could be assigned to such an entity.

This has been discussed over the years with maintainers, and enquiries
made with free software "fiscal stewards", as well as with people active
in the non-profit, member-owned IX community. However, never gone
anywhere to date.

If this seems something to pursue, please discuss here, or contact me
privately.

Paul Jakma | paul at jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune:
If you wait long enough, it will go away... after having done its damage.
If it was bad, it will be back.