[Quagga-users 28] Re: so...

Gilad Arnold gilad.arnold at terayon.com
Sun Aug 3 13:44:00 IST 2003

Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> I see the quagga project highly equivalent to linux kernel. In fact you need
> people that know the various hw platforms quagga runs on. Kunihiro always spoke
> about patches not tested on other hw then the submitters'. Though I doubt the
> argument a bit, there is _some_ truth in it, namely the project needs a
> diversification (does this word exist? I'm no native) into:
>
> 1) platform independant code
> 2) architecture specific "glue code"
>
> throughout all the daemons. This would imply you need people for every arch and
> people for independant parts.
>
> Your thoughts?

Nice thinking, although I believe is hard to employ: assigning
committers (I prefer "reviewers", more democratic IMO) to components is
rather easy; however, assigning responsibilities for architecture,
keeping in mind that such people must actually be reponsible to certify
that every committed change is working with their platform, implies that
(1) these people are do-it-all experts wrt zebra (oops, quagga!), and
(2) they'll have loads of work to do -- they must approve every change
that happens anywhere in the code, namely each and every patch.
Considering the fact that some platforms are quite singular, let alone
some platforms are inconsistent (e.g. you may say Linux, while referring
to some distro patched kernel, while in fact it isn't necessarily the
same on others), this is quite complicated.

What would I suggest? IMO, the majority of patches to quagga won't carry
any platform-dependent properties: most of what we've seen so far deals
with logic/algorithmic tuning, user interface, and *nix-common
characteristics. Furthermore, it seems that platform-dependent patches
would normally happen around (1) zebra-daemon kernel API
(rt_something.c, if_something.c, ...), or (2) the automake / autoconf /
build environment. Hence, I believe that component-oriented reviewers
(and the patch authors themselves) can indicate quite easily whether or
not a patch requires cross-platform testing. AFAICT, in most cases it
shouldn't.

Your call?
Gilad