[Quagga-users 40] Re: so...

James R. Leu jleu at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 4 02:24:50 IST 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:39:25AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
<snip>
> Kunihiro was /way/ ahead of you :)
>
> The code is already very well laid out and the platform dependent
> parts are already seperated out nicely. Conceptually at least,
> zebra^Wquagga is unfortunately rife with #ifdef's.

I would like to see a much more formal 'porting-layer'.  If you would
like to see an example of what I mean, take a look at my 'ldp-portable'
package.  The guts of the package are a library which implement RFC 3036
(Label Distribution Protocol for MPLS).  It uses a 'porting-layer' or
well defined API, to interact with the underlying system.  In this case I
have implemented a layer to interact with zebra.  In the pass I've
implemented layers that interact with the linux kernel, and the freebsd
kernel.

ldp-portable is part of http://mpls-linux.sf.net/

If people are serious about architecting quagga to be more OS independent
I would be happy to start a discussion about it and keep track of
the results of that discussion.

--
James R. Leu