[quagga-users 3455] Re: Bad throughput in my quagga router

Marc Boutik mboutik45 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 17:07:15 GMT 2004

Hi,

I mistakenly replied in private. Sorry for those who will receive it twice.

>Bad forwarding performance is definitely a stack/kernel/hardware
>choice/dimensining issue. A lot of aspects affect forwarding performance:
>kernel parameters, your BUS, the NICs, NIC buffers, memory, drivers, ...
>What are the physical specifications of your system, especially the NICs?
>Is your line Ethernet or DLL? Are you using Serial NICs?

All NICs are FastEthernet PCI :
0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900
PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
0000:00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3CSOHO100B-TX 910-A01
[tulip] (rev 31)
0000:00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3CSOHO100B-TX 910-A01
[tulip] (rev 31)
0000:00:10.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3CSOHO100B-TX 910-A01
[tulip] (rev 31)

I think the problem is software (kernel) related.

To answer another question on the list :
core1 root # mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
core1 root # mii-tool eth1
eth1: no autonegotiation, 100baseTx-HD, link ok
core1 root # mii-tool eth2
eth2: no autonegotiation, 100baseTx-HD, link ok
core1 root # mii-tool eth3
eth3: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

>From your posting I assume you are using BGP. I fail to see why by
>switching from one pure signaling system (Quagga BGPd) to another one
>(OpenBGPd) you expect to see *forwarding* performance problems miraculously
>disappear. Or do you have signaling problems as well?

Yeah using bgpd.
Switching from Quagge BGPD to OpenBGPd would also change the underlying
kernel as OpenBGPd has not been ported to Linux.

The idea was given to me by my telco's engineering contact (they only
support cisco but he told me that one customer had the same problem and
solved it by switching). However i would prefer to run quagga for now as it
is still much proven than OpenBGPd.

Thanks,