[quagga-users 3464] Re: Anyone on this list

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Fri Dec 17 12:43:06 GMT 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Dan Hollis wrote:

> interrupt mitigation? iirc this is up to the hardware to support,
> and comes at the cost of increased latency.

Possibly yes. Polling is also possible, and can be done with just
about any NIC.

> people were getting 1.3m packets/sec on linux back in 2001 (albeit
> with a patched kernel).
> https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2001-July/000592.html

That's click - ie *some* patch!

> Considering the max pps of gbe is around 1.5m/sec, this is pretty
> good for commodity hardware.

It's somewhere around 2Mpps, for UDP packets without data, by my
vague calculations.

> -Dan

You've been telling me to relax all the way here, and now you're telling
me just to be myself?
 		-- The Return of the Secaucus Seven