[quagga-users 5574] Re: Debug packet is dangerous?

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Wed Oct 5 09:02:22 IST 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 10:22:17AM +0200, Ralf Guenthner wrote:
> Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
>
> >If you look in the log file,
> >how many debug messages were getting logged per second?
>
> About 25 if counting lines in quagga.log is a sufficient indicator <g>

Hmmm, if really that few, then system load cannot explain the problem
you saw.  And if it's not system load, the only thing I can think of
is that perhaps the debugging tests somehow introduce a logic error
when they are enabled.  But I have no idea how to start chasing that
down.

> >2. When debugging, it is generally much safer to use terminal monitor
> >logging.
> >So, in other words, I would set the file logging at level info (not debug)
> >(i.e. "log file /var/log/quagga/ospfd.log informational").
>
> I'll do that, thanks for the advice

It would be interesting to learn if you can reproduce the problem that way.
Actually, what would be really interesting to see is if you enable the
same debugging, but with no debugging output being recorded anywhere,
whether the routes are still lost...  That would help to conclude that there's
a programming error somewhere.

Regards,
Andy