[quagga-users 5585] Re: Minor (really!) quagga bug.

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Sun Oct 9 12:13:43 IST 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 09:51:01PM -0500, pfriedel at copweb.com wrote:
> This is tiny and probably open to various levels of interpretation, but I
> ran into something today while setting up a small linux (debian based)
> VPN+Routing "appliance" that boots off of a CF card.  We make /tmp and
> /var out of tmpfs (ramdisk) filesystems.  One concern for this is that
> they don't retain anything across reboots.  Generally speaking this is
> acceptable for most applications, but quagga (notably zebra, but the other
> daemons seem to fail as well) really doesn't like it when /var/run/quagga
> doesn't exist.  Everything else on the box simply shrugs and rebuilds
> whatever it needs on startup, but quagga fails on a "bind: no file or
> directory" error.  This was exciting to track down on an appliance without
> strace. :)

As you point out, the simple fix is to create the /var/run/quagga and
/var/log/quagga directories in the init scripts.  But this does seem
to be a peculiar requirement of your configuration.

FYI, we also have linux routers booting off flash disks, and we also
create /tmp and /var as tmpfs filesystems.  However, at an early
phase of the boot process, we install a skeleton directory tree
layout underneath /var so as to avoid these sorts of problems.

Regards,
Andy