[quagga-users 5637] Re: How can i lock OSPF route table?

Sebastian Jaenicke sj+quagga at jaenicke.org
Mon Oct 17 03:40:05 IST 2005

Hi list,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:52:13AM +0700, Pham Mai Quan wrote:
[..]
> RouterA
> router-id 192.168.2.1
> network 192.168.1.0/24 (used: 192.168.1.1)
> network 192.168.2.0/24
>
> RouterB
> router-id 192.168.2.2
> network 192.168.2.0/24
> network 10.0.0.0/8 (private network, like DMZ)
>
> RouterC
> router-id 192.168.1.2
> network 192.168.1.0/24
> network 192.168.3.0/24
> network 10.0.0.0/8 (yes, another private network)
                           ^^^^^^^ Ouch!

I'm reading this as

   A  .1 ________ 192.168.1.0/24 __________ .2  C--- 192.168.3.0/24
   .1                                           |
   |                                            |
   |                                       10.0.0.0/8

  192.168.2.0/24

   .2
   B--- 10.0.0.0/8

.

Using the same logical addresses in two different locations
(10.0.0.0/8 at Router B and C) is an exceptionally bad idea.
(And you'll get yourself in serious trouble if you don't
renumber one of them.)

> I dont want RouterA add route for 10.0.0.0/8, and RouterC and B dont detect as fail-reduntdant. How can i do that?

Looks like I don't understand your question - if you don't want 10.0.0.0/8
to appear in the OSPF routing table, why did you configure B and C to
announce those routes?

In case you're just trying to filter specific routes - all routers
within an OSPF area have the same link-state database, so route
filtering can only be done by ABRs. You'll need to partition your
backbone into different OSPF areas, e.g.

192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24		Area 0
10.0.0.0/8 (at Router B)		Area 1 (stub)
192.168.3.0/24				Area 2 (stub)
10.0.0.0/8 (at Router C)		Area 3 (stub)

Have a closer look at Cisco's OSPF design guide at

- Sebastian
--
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front
              -- obs at burnout.demon.co.uk