[quagga-users 5717] Keeping static routes via temporarily unreachable gateways

Christian Ehrhardt quagga at c--e.de
Mon Oct 24 19:34:17 IST 2005

Hi,

I'm using quagga/zebra on a linux host that (among other things) is
the end point for a lot of point-to-point interfaces (dialup, tunnels, etc.)
All of the end points of these point-to-point interfaces have
static ip-addresses and some also have complete networks routed via
the point-to-point interface.

The latter routes are a problem:
* I can run a skript that adds the necessary routes whenever a point-to-point
  interface comes up. But I'm trying to avoid this.
* If I add a static route in zebra e.g.
       ip route 192.168.10.0/24 192.168.73.10
  where 192.168.73.10 is the remote end of the point-to-point interface
  this works for the first time the interface comes up.
* If the interface goes down, the route is deleted (probably by the kernel).
* If the interface comes up again this route is _not_ added to the kernel
  routing table (even though the static routes are visible in zebra) => bad!

What I'd like to do (with quagga preverably) is to make sure that the
info 192.168.10.0/24 should be routed via 192.168.73.10 is kept in the
kernel routing table even if 192.168.73.10 is no longer reachable. Or at
the very least this route should be re-added once the address becomes
reachable again.

Is this possible or am I stuck with interface-up skripts?

    regards   Christian