[quagga-users 6794] Re: OSPF dies from time to time

Jason Faulkner jfaulkne at broadwick.com
Thu Apr 27 11:36:12 IST 2006

Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Jason Faulkner wrote:
>
>> Hey, we're using Quagga + OSPFd on Debian Sarge (we're using the .99
>> backports.org version).
>
> 0.99.what?

# dpkg -l | grep quagga
ii  quagga         0.99.3-0bpo1   unoff. successor of the Zebra
BGP/OSPF/RIP r

>> Every now and again OSPFd just stops sending route info, and has to
>> be killed and restarted. Any ideas on things that might cause this,
>> or ways to prevent it?
>
> No. Can you provide more information? (e.g. how did you determine it
> "stops sending route info"?)

First of all, let me give you some insight into our network topology.

We have the office, and two colos. Each of the 3 nodes has a VPN to the
other (so we have a triangular VPN setup).

Basically, quagga helps us deal with the routes between those vpns. If
Quagga goes down on our office router, we lose all access to the office
from either colo. This is how we know when it dies (our pagers go
insane, hehe).

When I then run the /etc/init.d/quagga restart script, it takes forever
to try to restart (multiple minutes) before failing, then I have to
manually kill ospfd, then when I restart it works (i.e. ospfd is
freezing, not zebra).

Upon restart, in seconds we have our routes back and things are happy.
Any ideas on keeping it from dying in the first place would be
appreciated :)

--
Jason Faulkner
System Administrator