[quagga-users 6444] Can't assign requested address.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Feb 7 17:17:43 GMT 2006

I don't know how this happened, but on my quagga box running on freeBSD
5.4 (which functions as a VLAN aggregator), we occasionally have it where
zebra will SWEAR that an IP address is in use on several vlan/interface,
and will show it in the config.  Only one will show in ifconfig -- and
that one can be removed fine.

When I go to remove the other bogus ones, I get the "cannot assign
requested address" error.

But it still shows up in "show ip route", and in the "show run" output
(but not in ifconfig).  The show ip route entry disappears if I shut the
bogus vlan, but I find it amusing that on a no-shut zebra doesn't check
the interfaces, just injects into the routing table.

Is there any known issue like this?  Any suggested fixes?

If you needed more information, what would you suggest getting?

If I wanted to just edit the config file and restart zebra GRACEFULLY, how
would I go about it?

-Dan Mahoney