[quagga-users 9166] Re: what's happening? was:(Re: quagga ospf trouble)

kiru kirusz at freemail.hu
Mon Dec 3 11:28:07 GMT 2007

paul at clubi.ie wrote:
> The Hello protocol exists precisely to detect communication problems, so
> if it fails you have to double-check whether it is in fact your links
> and OS that are the source of the problem.
>
> Some common-ish sources of problems:
>
> - dodgy ports on switches
>
> - marginal cabling (e.g. from cable kinks, or RJ-45 plugs that works loose)
>
> - Systems that fail to schedule ospfd reliably, e.g. due to
>   virtualisation hypervisors "optimising" system clock interrupts..
>
> - firewalling
>
> regards,

I think it isn't any communication problem on link (tcp) level, while I can see in the tcpdump log, there are hello
packets arrived at that time, but this router doesn't send hello to the other side. If there's problem to send packets
to another at link level, I can see them on the tcpdump log too. Don't you think?

There isn't virtualisation on these machines, and I except the firewalling thing too.

regards,
kiru

--
Üdv