[quagga-users 9245] Re: Will Quagga do this?

Sam Bashton sam at bashton.com
Mon Dec 31 09:38:22 GMT 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 09:53:35PM +0000, Mike Williams wrote:
> My meager understanding, and investigations, tells me we'll need a public AS
> and at least a /21 to enable seemless routing to/from the internet via 2
> different ISPs. A /21 is stupidly excessive for us though, a /24 would be
> plenty for the conceivable future.
> Further than this, I'm lost in a soup of acronyms and concepts I don't
> understand.

Hi Mike,

Not exactly a Quagga issue, but what you need here is some PI space - a
/24 of it to be exact from your description.  Any competent provider
should be able to organise this for you.  Once you have this, you also
need a public AS, and two upstream providers you can speak BGP with.  Your
Quagga routers will then route traffic accordingly.  Ben's reply covers
how BGP achieves this pretty effectively, so I won't go over old ground
here.

If you're looking for some commercial assistance with this, please feel
free to contact me off-list.

Warmest regards,

--
Sam Bashton - Bashton Ltd, Manchester, England
Linux Consultancy / VOIP Telephony / High Availability Systems