[quagga-users 8079] Re: Virtual interfaces / aliases supported?

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Mon Feb 26 18:38:55 GMT 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Seb wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I think your message and my last message,
> where I removed eth1:1 from zebra.conf, passed like ships in the
> night.

Perhaps. Removing it / changing it to 'eth1' is step 1 though ;).

> However, just to clarify, I want to be able to run BGP over more
> networks than I have physical interfaces (plugged in at a remote
> location). OSPF and BGP are already running over eth1. I'm unsure
> how to separate out the BGP config for one label compared to
> another label for eth1.

You're confused between interfaces and addresses.

A single interface can have multiple addresses (on many systems).

Systems which assign unique psuedo-interface names to each address
configured to an interface nearly always do so for
backwards-compatibility reasons (e.g. in your Linux case, to retain
compatibility with ifconfig/IFCONF).

Regardless though, interfaces and addresses are different things,
trying to think of the latter as being equivalent to the former is
senseless (e.g. BGP cares little about interfaces, it cares about
/addresses/).

And regardless of the system, Quagga models (tries hard) addresses as
being /addresses/, and tries to avoid treating psuedo-interfaces as
actual interfaces (cause they're not, and trying to do so usually
leads to bigger problems)..

A feature is nothing more than a bug with seniority.
 	-- Unknown source