[quagga-users 7948] Re: [Fwd: 4 Byte AS tested]

Erik Romijn eromijn at ripe.net
Wed Jan 17 12:08:06 GMT 2007

[ Why does it take 30 minutes for a message to get through the list? ]

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:17:28AM +0100, Juergen Kammer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 03:26:46PM +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:
>
> > [..]
> > Feedback on the testing would be useful.
> > [..]
>
> Indeed.  And I'll wait for a bunch of feedback before realigning
> anything in the patch.  If/when we know it works then there is time
> to shift things around should that be necessary.

I have been testing with a small setup and have found no issues so far.
I run a few ASN32 boxes of which one with a 32bit AS. There's one
non-ASN32 box. It seems NEW_AS_PATH and NEW_AGGREGATOR_AS work fine and
cause no issues for the older quagga. Tested this for both IPv4 and
IPv6.

I'll also test all this (again) for MRT dumps, but I think that
everything on the Quagga side is really fixed (until the specification
is changed, but the changes I proposed are trivial to change for Quagga).

Once all my other software for RIS[1] is done I'll install a new Quagga
on one of our machines, where it will carry several full tables and
hopefully a couple of ASN32 routes.

Actually, I've already hooked up one asn32 capable quagga to "the real
thing" yesterday for a short time:

 rrc99# sh ip bgp 203.10.62.0/24
 BGP routing table entry for 203.10.62.0/24
 Paths: (1 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
   Not advertised to any peer
   12654 16215 3549 4637 1221 2.2
     192.65.185.40 from 192.65.185.40 (192.65.185.40)
       Origin IGP, localpref 100, valid, external, best
       Last update: Tue Jan 16 16:37:30 2007

So NEW_AS_PATH works nicely across many different asn16 routers.

Is anyone else also planning to test this? My use of quagga is most
likely not what most others would. I assume testing an asn32 capable
quagga with a 16bit AS would already be helpful, no need to get a new AS
right away.

> Quagga is not the place to fight for the input or output format
> of AS numbers.  AS number representation is something which covers
> not only quagga configurations and bgp regexps, but configurations
> on all routers providing support for asn32 - and usage by the RIRs.

One interesting question: what are other network equipment vendors doing
now? (and which of them are working on asn32 at all)

> I personally would find it most confusing for the average
> multi-homing chap (who probably has no use of and no idea
> about bgp as-path regexps -- which are the one place things
> may, no, will become ugly) to get the AS number "3.3333" from his
> favourite RIR and then to realize that he has to use and will
> see 199943 all over the place, never seeing 3.3333 anywhere.

I forsee a whois client wrapper that translates 3.3333 to
large_number in that case ;-)

> This is why I think quagga should provide all formats,
> and the place to fight for one or the other format is on the appropriate
> mailing-lists and working groups.

Should supports for other formats be removed once a decision has been
made?

[1] http://www.ripe.net/ris/

cheers,
--
Erik Romijn                 RIPE NCC jr. software engineer
http://www.ripe.net/        Information Services dept.