[quagga-users 8119] OSPF on unnumbered PPP links

Daniel Ng daniel_ng11 at lycos.com
Fri Mar 9 05:24:16 GMT 2007

Hiya,

I'm running quagga-0.99.6 on 2 powerpc-uclibc-based machines. They are linked
by a single unnumbered PPP connection. Each also has a single Ethernet IP
interface.

As you might know, Linux deals with unnumbered PPP links by assigning the IP
address of one of the other interfaces on a machine, to the PPP link interface.

In this case, the ethernet's IP address is assigned to the unnumbered PPP
interface on each machine respectively.

I notice if I only specify the PPP and eth0 interfaces in my ospf.conf file, a
Full Neighbour Adjaceny is *not* established (in fact no sort of adjaceny is
estabilshed at all. I have checked the PPP connectivity which is fine).

I've discovered I have to specify the IP network address of the *Ethernet*
interfaces in the ospf.conf files in order to get full adjacency across the PPP
link.

But what if I don't want OSPF on the ethernet interfaces?

Also, is there a way to configure OSPF so that you can specify which
*interfaces* to use rather than specifying which *networks*?

Cheers,
Daniel